I want a divorce, but my husband/wife won’t let me. Can I still get one?

Yes. California is a “no-fault” state, and “irreconcilable differences” is sufficient grounds to terminate a marriage. Thus, you don’t need the other’s permission.  However, you should know that if one side isn’t agreeing to the divorce, you will need to jump through legal hoops, culminating in setting the case for trial, which is very costly.  If you are the spouse who isn’t agreeing to the divorce, I suggest that you review California family law. It doesn’t pay to draw out the process if one person is already out.  The divorce WILL be granted – it’s just a matter of time and money.

Category: Divorce - Top 5 Questions