Marriage of Terry and Spousal Support Termination Under Family Code 4322

Marriage of Terry and Spousal Support Termination under Family Code 4322

Now that alimony is not tax-deductible, many alimony payers are wondering, “How can I terminate spousal support?”

The answer may be found in Family Code section 4322, which states, “In an original or modification proceeding, where there are no children, and a party has or acquires a separate estate, including income from employment, sufficient for the party’s proper support, no support shall be ordered or continued against the other party.”

First, educate yourself by reading this Judge’s Benchguide on Support.

If you want to terminate alimony, you need to argue that there are no children, and the other side is self-sufficient, or has acquired a separate estate sufficient for support. There may be a need to hire experts.

if you are the recipient of support, you will want to argue different things.  Call our offices.

Have a case like this?

Family matters are extremely personal, and it is important for us to know details of your case before giving advice. Each case is different, and it is important to find an attorney you trust. To arrange an appointment, please call us at (626) 765-5767 between 8:30am – 5:00pm, Mondays to Fridays, or fill out the form below.

Schedule a Consultation